Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Few, The Proud


The infertile.

I've had problems with irregular cycles for a few years now. It took 14 months to conceive Will. I had one cycles last over 100 days.

After Will was born and my cycles restarted I thought I was cured. My first 2 cycles were a nice even 35 days long with easily detectable fertility markers. And then the 3rd cycle lasted a little longer, about 40 days. By the time I wen to the OB/GYN for my annual exam I was on day 49 of my 4th cycle.

The Dr. ordered some blood work, which came back this morning. I have elevated testosterone levels suggesting PCOS. This is the second time I have had blood tests come back consistent with PCOS. I suppose I'm now officially diagnosed with the condition.

The nurse that called to give me the test results started off with, "Do you want to conceive another baby?" A little over dramatic, I think. She followed up by telling me the two ways to manage PCOS symptoms are either birth control pills or fertility meds, so they needed to know what my goal was and would send over a Rx. I asked if I could just, like, not take anything. She sounded a little confused. "You mean just let it do whatever?" And I replied, "Yeah, can I just live with the irregular cycles and not take anything?" Fascinating, natural over pharmacudical, what an idea!

So, for now I am not taking anything to regulate my cycles, they will come and go as they please. I will invest in Dollar Store pregnancy tests and take one every few weeks to make sure I'm not pregnant. And I think I might try eating according to the Glycemic Index. PCOS has some relationship to insulin.

Someday, when we are ready for another baby, I will have to do something I suppose, get a Rx for Clomid maybe. But for now I think I will just accept that, like most everything else about me, my cycles are a bit off. A bit irregular. A little abnormal. And you know, I kinda like me that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Arbitrarily Opinionated | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates